Saturday, September 30, 2006

BENEFITS OF INFANTS

What I'm Listening To: "Da Da," by Alice Cooper. And it's really creeping me out...

I went into DC last night with Mathilda to see Neil Gaiman. Met my sister Emily there. Neil was doing a reading/signing at a Methodist church down the street from Politics and Prose, which was too small to hold everyone who was going to show up. And I've seen a lot of people in there.

So Maddy was good up until Neil was about to come out. Then she got fussy. And because she was rubbing her eyes and being cranky and I believe my parental rights do not extend to ruining the evening of people around me, I took her outside, planning to go back in when either A) she calmed down and dozed off, or B) the reading was finished.

What happened was A) she didn't calm down and B) Neil read an hour-long story.

The Politics and Prose people were all very nice during the whole thing and one of them mentioned that it was obvious Maddy wasn't a Methodist. I'd have to say that church did not seem to agree with her. Maybe going down to Georgetown and getting her picture taken at the M Street stairs isn't such a bad idea after all.

Neil started signing around 9:00 and I went back in with Maddy to get our stuff together. We were at the back of the church so that I could dash out with Maddy if (and it turns out, when) necessary. The line was being started from the front of the sanctuary, so we were going to be one of the last groups called if we stayed. As I was deciding just how stupid it would be to stick around with the fussy kid (who had calmed down at this point) an announcement was made that people with infants could come to the front of the line.

Politics and Prose is the best bookstore in the world. I have never seen that done before.

So we went up to the front and I got my copy of The Wolves in The Walls and my MirrorMask poster signed to Maddy. I thank Neil and the bookstore folks and we were on our way. A very nice man who turned out to be the Harper Collins artist rep help us get the stroller down the stairs so that a Potemkin replay did not happen.

Politics and Prose is the best bookstore in the world. And Neil Gaiman is, as always, generous and kind and all-around the best. This was my fourth time seeing him and I'd go again in a second... though maybe Maddy may not tag along until she's a bit older.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home