Monday, March 31, 2008

Catching Up: Part 1

The Pogues
930 Club
March 9, 2008

Ain't that a great cover. Five cds. One Hundred and Eleven tracks (beating out those pesky dalmatians by ten) only two of which I already have, or, to my knowledge, have ever been released on cd. The only problem?

It's so far only getting a European release.

Dammit.

Anyway, Jamee and I went to see The Pogues for the second time a couple of weeks ago. (Emily was there too, but since she buggered off to be with her friends in the balcony, I can't really say I saw the show with her, now can I?)

At this point, an review of a Pogues show that harps on Shane MacGowan's physical condition is cliche and pretty much missing of the point. Sure, he's in bad shape, but the fact that he's up on stage for most of two hours is impressive. And though he didn't do it this time, when we saw them two years ago he balanced a glass on the back of his hand for what seemed like a good minute. I don't even think I could do that.

But if we want to talk about a Pogue's health and well-being, let's reserve it for Philip Chevron. The show we saw was his third since rejoining the band after a fight with cancer. "Thousands Are Sailing" is a highlight of a Pogues show, but seeing the man back onstage that night was special.

What was surprising about the night was how tame the crowd was. I was in the balcony two years ago and the crowd on the floor looked nuts. I hold my brother-in-law-in-law responsible for that, and his absence this year may have contributed to the mellow crowd. Or it could have been that the previous show was their second appearance in the US with MacGowan in seventeen years. Regardless, even when the crowd was bugfuck crazy, what was notable was an enormous feeling of goodwill and joy from the people around me. I can't think of another show I've been to where you just end up talking to strangers, like my new best friend at this show, who was appreciative of my random ability to decipher Shane's banter, and who was even more appreciative when I stopped him from leaving by letting him know that a second encore was coming up.

But what was especially nice was when Jamee found me. She stayed outside to offload an extra ticket we had, and for the first twenty minutes of the show I couldn't find her. So I stayed put. The show was ok up that point, which was when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and there she was. Smiling. And I knew how much I loved her. Which was nice.

Everyone should have a moment like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home