Saturday, March 01, 2008

Suck It

30 Days of Night
Kelly & Kevin's House
DVD
2/29/08

I was preparing to say something about the first line of No Country for Old Men being, "I was sheriff of this county when I was 25 years old," and how I could buy Tommy Lee Jones being sheriff at that age but not Josh Hartnett, but I'm not going to go for that.

There are so many more things wrong with this movie.

I'm not going to bitch about the pacing, because we had to frequently pause it when one of the children came into the room, usually right as something particularly horrible was about to happen on screen. But it does seem strange to jump forward by weeks in the story and just imply that absolutely nothing has happened during that time? What the hell are the vampires doing? Just hanging out? Do you mean to tell me that they didn't have time to go from house to house in order to see if they missed anybody?

This is one of those horror movies where people do stupid things just to move the plot along. OK, we've found a place to hide that's relatively safe? Are some people going to be dumb enough to go outside just to thin out the cast? You betcha. Are the survivors going to hide out for 29 days, knowing that the sun's about to come up and rescue is presumably on it's way, and then decide to break cover and reveal themselves to the monsters? Of course they are.

And what the hell is up with the light source? If the town is supposed to be plunged into darkness for thirty days, why is everything surprisingly well-lit every time someone goes outside? And where the hell are the vampires when they do?

I don't know if this played better in the theater with an audience, but I thought it was a sloppy mess. It had potential, but just kept coming up short. And it turns out what I thought was the coolest thing about the movie was just an error with setting up the DVD player. When we saw it, none of the vampire language dialog was subtitled, which was cool, even though they kinda sounded like dolphins. And then, towards the end, a single line of dialog popped up at the bottom of the screen. So, it turns out that the DVD player was set up in a way to cut off the subtitles, which actually worked in the movie's favor.

But ultimately, and I hate to use this to describe a vampire movie, 30 Days of Night sucked.

(For the record, I remember the comic being pretty good, and co-creator/writer Steve Niles is a great guy. And he signs things with a little fanged smiley-face. Which is nice.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Misty Beethoven said...

30 Days of Night was cool. Silly? Yes. Far-fetched? Definitely. But I found it to be very entertaining and unique, and I loved the marauding vampires (I loved Danny Huston). It was a cool concept and I thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps because my expectations were not so high. I bought it, so I'll find out really soon if it plays as well upon a second viewing.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Kevin Smith said...

Also, there's a part where they actually mention that the vampires are going door to door, searching the houses. And they do mention perfectly reasonable excuses for why they leave their hidey-holes - once being for needed supplies, another time because they believe the hiding place has been compromised. It's easy to miss these things when the film is continually interrupted, tho.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home