Saturday, February 02, 2008

Are You Aware of Garfield?

Cloverfield
Regal Westview16
Frederick, MD
35mm
2/1/08

Sometimes, and this happened with The Mist, too, hearing the number of people coming out of a theater saying how much they hated a movie I liked only makes me like it more. Cloverfield is a nasty, effective little giant monster movie that actually works better than something like, say, the American version of Godzilla, by focusing on a small group of people making their way through a disaster zone rather than the big-picture monster attack.

It's brisk and though it feels longer than its hour-and-thirty-five minute running time (including trailers!) it also feels like its just as long as it needs to be. It's fun and I get the impression that it'll hold up to repeated viewings. I definitely think it's a good argument for investing in a decent home theater sound system and I'd argue that it's worth seeing in the theater just for the sound.

And considering how disappointed I usually end up with things I see in the theater, where I feel that they could usually have waited for video, saying something's worth seeing in the theater means a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home