Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Last Weekend, Part 1

So we went down to the World Beer Festival, Jamee, Mathilda and I. We stayed with my friends Brad and Sara, who are two of my favorite people in the world. And we saw my friend Sarah, and my friend-in-law Blair, and my friend Amy, and her daughter Yoko, who Mathilda adored. Kelly and Kevin were there too. All of them are some of my favorite people. Actually, I think everyone who's even aware of this blog counts as one of my favorite people, which fifteen years ago would have seems like an alien concept to me. You know, the actual long term liking of people. But then, I've known my friend Kevin since I was in ninth grade, which was eighteen years ago this month. And I've know my friend Jasper since I was in pre-school, so that's going back almost thirty years. Which blows my mind.

But there's really not that many people that I actively dislike, at least among people I know (and you know who you are, Mister). But I genuinely like people, which the fifteen year old me would find to be an alien concept, even if he did it too. I think it drives Jamee nuts.

I also like beer.

I had the privilege of not drinking in high school and most of college. Again, an alien concept. My first real beer was in Ireland and it was a Guinness and it was lovely. Most of the people in my group found it abhorrent. But it lead me towards the good stuff. I think the microbrew explosion of the 1990s was a wonderful thing and I love how you can find some really interesting things in the grocery store on the shelf next to Budweiser (except in Maryland, where you'll find neither in a grocery store).

The World Beer Festival was big and crowded and loud. And we brought a three year old. People were generally nice and the beer was nice too. I was especially fond of the Foothills Sexual Chocolate Stout (which we went back for too late to get more) and the Kuhnenn Fourth Dementia Olde Ale, which had a 13.5% ABV and was just fantastic, even though nobody else seemed to like it. I thought it was so good that I want to go to the Kuhnenn Brewery and Brewpub. It's only eight and a half hours away. And in Detroit.

Jamee really liked the New Holland Ichabod Pumpkin Ale. I bought her a shirt for it, but she can tell you more about that.

Coming soon - a trip to Biscuitville.

2 Comments:

Blogger James B said...

Beer is good. Anything New Belgium makes is really good.

Cheers,
James

4:47 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Whoop whoop! Shout out for Sara and Brad! :) I love getting mentioned in blogs.

ps. as for favorite people in the world- we feel likewise about the Robinson family! You are all welcome, anytime!

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home