Saturday, October 21, 2006

SO THAT ALMOST WORKED...

I took Maddy to her first movie today, The Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D. In theory it was a good idea. It's a short movie, and though it's in 3-D, it wasn't originally designed for 3-D, so there's not a lot of things jumping towards the camera and going "boo!'. Disney has thoughtfully added an intro that involves a Jack-O-Lantern jumping out at you and going "Boo" to make up for not having the forethought of doing it 13 years ago.

I have gone to see this movie three times, once for each release. I saw it with my college roommate during opening weekend in 1993 at the mall theater in Harrisonburg. It was our Freshman year, and we hadn't quite realised at that point that the busses stopped running around 5:00 on weekend afternoons. So we hiked back to our dorm. It took about two hours. And part of it was through the woods. In the dark. Which was nice. There was a recycling plant in the woods that made this horrible David Lynchian noise as we came upon it. It was quite creepy. I suppose it's still there. The woods are gone now.

The second time we tried to see it was during the 2000 re-release. It was only playing in DC and we were still living in Hampton Roads, about three hours away. So Jamee and I drove up, metro'd into teh city, bought our tickets, went to get our seats, and then promply walked out because the theatre had about 20 seats and a super tiny screen. It wasn't worth it, so we left. We did get to see friends that weekend, so it wasn't a total wash.

Which brings us to today. There's a digital theater about 40 minutes from here. I've seen Cars adn Pirates there and if something I want to see is playing there digitally, it's worth the trip. Maddy was very good at first, and she was due for a nap, so I thought she would doze off.

I thought wrong.

About two-thirds of the way through she decided to get vocal, so I packed her up and headed out. There was an alcove where I could stand and watch, but Maddy tired of being held and started to protest. She was, however, excited to see Oogie Boogie on the big screen. She has a stuffed one, and seemed very taken with it last night, which I took as a sign.

So, as I stood outside the theater, listening through the door to Jack Skellington deliver toys to kids and fight Oogie to get Santa back, I realised that I knew the whole movie by heart. And I haven't even seen it that many times. And I have a feeling that if Maddy is anything like Jamee and me, I'm going to be seeing it a lot more in the future...and that something won't go quite right when I try to see it in a theater again six years from now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home