Wednesday, December 05, 2007

I was just getting used to the name Frohley

Children of Men
M'House
DVD
12/4/07

Since this title keeps getting thrown about whenever I seem to talk about The Mist I figured that I'd watch it again. So I did last night after Tilda went to bed and before Jamee got home from teaching. It's the first time I'd watched it all the way through since we saw it the theater the first weekend of the wide release.

It's still one of my favorite movies. It's got this uncompromising feel to it that reminds me of Kubrick, especially the Hue sequences in Full Metal Jacket. There's a particular image when they're driving to Bexhill towards the end of the film where you can see huge clouds of black smoke in the distance that looks like it could be a right out of Jacket, though I'm sure that here they're CG. In Full Metal Jacket, as pointed out in the commentary, Kubrick had some guys two miles in the distance timing the smoke just right. For every take.

Heck, look at the US poster. It even looks like a Kubrick one-sheet in black instead of white (or yellow. or purple) - Lots of negative space and a strong central image. But I digress.

Anyway, since reading about the opening shots project that I mentioned in the Mist post, I've been trying to see If I can read anything into the opening shots of what I've been watching. Here it's more of the opening sequence than a single shot. We don't even begin with an image. We begin with sound. A series of radio broadcasts that tell us that we're in the future and things have gotten bad, but we don't know why. Then we're in a coffee shop. There is a news broadcast. The youngest person on the planet has just died. He was 18. So we establish that there hasn't been a human birth in nearly twenty years. Probably why everything's falling apart. But we're in this coffee shop. And it's packed. It establishes the world. There are less and less people in it every day and the one's who are left try to come together. There's a woman holding a cat (or is it a dog?) It's the first instance of a recurring motif throughout the film. There are no more children, so people use animals as a surrogate.

Then Theo comes in. Not our hero. The film doesn't have one. Our protagonist. He comes in, wades through the group, buys his coffee and leaves. He's not part of the group. An outsider.

Moments later the coffee shop explodes. Theo flinches (heroes don't flinch). A woman stumbles out of the could of dust pouring out of the coffee shop. For an instant we see that she's holding her severed arm.

Then there's a hard cut to the title.

So we start out the movie with death and violence. The specific death of the youngest person on the planet and the general impending death of the human race. Death and violence is random and Theo escapes more through chance than by anything he specifically does. This is set up in a couple of minutes and looms over the rest of the film. Which is is interesting to me because we have a movie here that sets up a feeling of impending, inevitable, random death ends with impending, random life.

There are at least two sequences of birth imagery towards the conclusion, after the actual birth of the new youngest person on the planet. The first begins the celebrated tracking shot through the combat zone in the refugee camp (actually several shots blended together on a computer, but who cares, it's great). It's a moving shot down a tunnel into a scene of incredible carnage and death. The second occurs as Theo and Kee and the baby escape on the boat, traveling down a tunnel out to the sea. There may be others, but I missed them this time around. I don't think there are any before the baby is born and if that's the case the multiple uses of birth imagery after that occurrence could be Cuaron's way of telling the audience cinematically that it was not an isolated incident. It's begun and will keep happening. Or it could be a symbol of Theo's rebirth. Could be both. Could be neither. Cuaron doesn't spoonfeed the viewer. And I like that.

Can't wait to see what I notice next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger ekrobi said...

Did you mean "nearly twenty years" where you said "nearly two years?"

I totally get the Full Metal Jacket thing. When I was walking out of the theater into the hallway after seeing Children of Men, I tried to think of other movies that made me feel the way I was feeling right then. FMJ was the only thing I could come up with.

I don't get The Mist comparisons, though. I mean, I get the thematic similarites and everything, but the two films were on drastically different levels for me. I laughed at The Mist. It was silly. I wasn't engaged with it. Children of Men was so many levels past The Mist on the gravity scale that it feels almost ridiculous to compare them. I can't think of a more intense experience I've had at the movies. I didn't feel that way about The Mist. Not by a long shot.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Misty Beethoven said...

Oh wow. I'm really surprise by your review. I hated "Children of Men". I was so bored, so so very bored. In that respect, it was indeed just like "The Mist". Two big time-sucking bores.

2:15 PM  
Blogger PunchBuggyBlues said...

Em,

Fixed it.

I kinda just plow through these things without doing a revision (which should be obvious), so I only really catch the major mispellings. Unless I leave them in on purpose like that one.

The only real connection with The Mist is how I felt when they were over. Marie mentioned the same thing. Then Brad mentioned that I mentioned it in his review... so I thought I'd watch CoM again.

7:33 PM  
Blogger ekrobi said...

I think it's interesting that the three of us vary so widely here.

Me: Mist boring, CoM great
Maria: Both boring
Michael: Both great

Crazy!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home