Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Keeping "Up" with the Joneses

Shoot 'Em Up
M'House
DVD
1/4/08

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
M'House
DVD
1/5/08

If you can't figure out by the second shot that Shoot 'Em Up is a joke, then you're wasting your time. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. It's kind of like taking an entire season of 24 and squeezing it into 86 minutes. Yep, it's that silly.

It's fun though, and though it's a one-joke premise (every scene turns into a gunfight) it doesn't outlast it's welcome. That is, of course, if you get that it's a joke from the first twenty seconds.

Last Saturday we watched the last two Indiana Jones movies. Haven't done a double-feature in a while. Haven't watched the Indiana Jones movies in a while, either.

Tilda has recently become obsessed with Indy. We have the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull poster up in the TV room and she'll wave at it and say "Hi, Jones." And when I went to DC last weekend she asked Jamee if she could watch a "Jones movie." But the only one that I know she's been awake the whole time for was Temple of Doom, and she didn't seem to be paying much attention to it.

The last time I saw Temple of Doom was as part of my midnight movie series for Hampton 24. It was when I realized that Temple of Doom really wasn't very good. I loved it when I was a kid, but seeing it again for the first time in maybe ten years I realized I didn't like it. So now it's been almost another ten years and it's not as bad as I remembered. Willie Scott is still one of the most irritating characters in film, up there with Franklin in The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and the addition of the kid seems a bit off, but by the time it was over I felt like it really wasn't all that bad.

Last Crusade, on the other hand, is just fun. I can't remember when I last saw it (I don't think we got it as one of the midnight shows), so I probably haven't actually seen it since college. I don't really have a whole lot to say about it, and I have a feeling that with Tilda, we'll be watching them a lot in the future, but there was one bit I noticed this time around, and it's not the fact that the Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword guy looks like Borat. I thought it was a nice bit to have the guy who played a Bond villain be the one who shoots Sean Connery, even if he was the villain in a Roger Moore one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home