Friday, October 24, 2008

The Magic Word is Hodgman

So I took Tilda to see John Hodgman at Politics and Prose last night. Which was kind of a mistake. About ten minutes into his thing, she decided that she would rather run around screaming. So we went outside. Just like for Neil Gaiman two years ago. For this, I will be traumatizing her with Coraline next February. In 3-D.

And to prove that I am completely stupid, we stayed for the signing, even though we were towards the end of the line. I had a pile of books - mine, two for a co-worker, and a couple of others for people who shall rename nameless who I don't believe are aware that this blog exists. But leaving would have made the whole trip to DC a waste of time. The line was long and slow, but Tilda was surprisingly good. She rode on my shoulders most of the time and appeared to entertain the woman behind me. At one point Tilda wanted to see her book and she asked what the magic word was and Tilda said:

Hodgman

I told him that when we got to the front. He seemed to think it was a good idea. He was very nice and made the whole thing worth it, though I am still sore from Tilda wrangling and lack of sleep. But the best part of the evening was when he was done signing my books and shook my hand. Tilda, still on my shoulders, leaned down and shook his hand too. The few people left in line said "awww" and it was incredibly cute. I wish I had a picture.

Maybe next time.

That is all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Misty Beethoven said...

I had to follow your link and look this up. I had not heard of this Hodgman until reading this post today. Unless maybe I saw him on the Daily Show. I can't remember.

3:02 PM  
Blogger James B said...

A friend of mine is working on finishing Coraline as I type. It should be good, really good.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home