Sunday, April 20, 2008

Oh, Hell

So my brother-in-law-in-law Kevin and I went up to the New York Comic-Con yesterday. And came back. I'm exhausted and am currently aching in places I didn't know I had. Kevin may feel worse. He did the driving.

The initial draw for me was that Guillermo Del Toro was going to be there. Never did get to see him - the Hellboy II panel was packed, and my lotter ticket didn't get drawn, so I missed out on the signing.

But I did get one of these:


It's a Drew Struzan painted one sheet that was exclusive to the New York Comic-Con. Only 2100 printed. Heavy paper and individually numbered. It's just nice and the lil image above really does not do it justice.

Otherwise, the con was both over and underwhelming. It was packed, which was to be expected, and I didn't get nearly as much stuff scribbled on as I brought. I found out a couple of days ago that Michael Whelan was going to be there, so I spent the day lugging around my copies of The Dark Tower 1 and 7, which is probable contributing to my general achiness today. But he was very nice and signed both of them, and now I know what to bring if Stephen King ever comes around.

Only met a couple of other artists that I like. Darwyn Cooke, who did The New Frontier, was great, but he had a line and I didn't want to take up too much time. Plus he'll be in Baltimore in September and hopefully I'll have a copy of the Absolute Edition of New Frontier by then.

That is a hint.

Glenn Fabry, who did the covers for Preacher and Hellblazer was cool and I got Kelly and Kevin a print he was selling of the main Preacher folks. He did do all the driving after all.

And Duncan Fegredo, who drew Hellboy: Darkness Calls was great. He signed all six issues and drew a little Hellboy doodle on the cover of issue #3.

Kevin and I ended up going to the Grant Morrison panel on a whim. I've liked Morrison's stuff, though sometimes he gets a little weird and esoteric. Yeah, even for me. But he seemed very cool and basically spent the entire hour doing a Q&A. The highlight was when someone asked him about the Batman movies and he said that the great thing about Batman is that you have a character who's been around for seventy years and you can do pretty much anything you want to with him. He then stated that there's been some great superhero moves and some really bad ones, but you can even find stuff to like in the bad ones.

At which point someone yelled out "What about Batman and Robin?"

And without hesitation, Morrison replied:

"Oh the colours are brilliant!"

Which is now why I like Grant Morrison as a positive role model. He can even say something nice about Batman and Robin.

But I still don't think I can bring myself to watch it again.

Ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home