Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bart, are you drinking whiskey? I'm troubled.

The Simpsons Movie
DVD
M'House
12/21/07

We gave up on The Simpsons a few years ago, back when it stopped being, you know, good. I'd been watching since the Christmas special first aired, and sixteen years is a pretty good haul for any show. But we stopped watching and it kept going. I have found that some of the episodes that I didn't like at first improved upon subsequent viewing, so maybe when the past few seasons come out on DVD I'll see them and enjoy. But I'm not counting on it.

So I missed this in theaters, mainly because I was too cheap to by a ticket and too cheap to buy the Season 9 set at Costco that came with a free pass that was selling for $30. (It has since dropped down to $20, so there. And please don't point out that I spent more to buy the DVD that I would have on a movie ticket. It was under my $15 threshhold for movies on DVD and came with a map of Springfield. So there.)

So we watched it last night. Tilda had been asking for Homer all afternoon, which is strange because I wasn't aware that she even knew who Homer was. Perhaps she just wanted The Odyssey. Instead she got The Simpsons Movie. It's funny, don't get me wrong. There's some very funny stuff in here. But after nearly twenty years, is there any story they could really tell on the big screen that could match the greatness that they've done on TV? Not really. But it still feels like something that really couldn't be done as multiple episodes of the show, although the 2.40:1 does give it some scope that probably worked better in the theater.

So, it's not entirely a letdown, but it's not the greatest thing ever, either. For that, we've got the show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home